top of page

For International Removals From the UK

Intercession Cathedral

Country Guide: Russia

Used Household Goods and Personal Effects

Documents Required

  • Copy of passport

  • Packing list

  • Telex release bill of lading (OBL) / copy air waybill (AWB)

  • Detailed inventory or pro-forma invoice

  • Customs declaration form

  • Letter of employment

  • Copy of visa (accredited individuals)

  • Copy of accreditation card (accredited individuals)

  • Copy of diplomatic passport, diplomatic visa, and diplomatic card (diplomats)

  • Customs declaration form (non-accredited individuals).

  • Registration with the Federal Immigration Services (FMS) (non-accredited individuals)

  • Power of attorney

Specific Information

  • Customs duty is EUR 4/kg or 30% of the value (the higher will be taken) for all non-diplomatic shipments.

  • Payments are done only with roubles (RUE) directly to the Federal Custom Service (FTS)

  • All in-bound non-diplomatic shipments are subject to the payment of Customs duties and taxes calculated based on the costs, insurance, and freight (CIF) value of the shipment.

  • All shipments are subject to issuance of a Customs declaration for each Harmonized System code (HS code). 

  • The cost of the Customs declaration will be determined during the Customs clearance process.

  • The detailed inventory must include photographs and values for all objects of art.

  • Inventory must include the value, dimensions, author, year / period of art, and materials used in all photos and artwork.

  • The Customs declaration form is required for unaccompanied baggage that must be stamped and signed by Customs at the time of owner of the goods’ arrival (returning citizens only who apply for duty-free import).

  • The power of attorney must be done at Russian notary.

  • For diplomats the power of attorney must be on embassy letterhead.

  • The letter of employment must be company letterhead to the Russian authorities.

  • For diplomats the letter must be on embassy letterhead.

  • The exchange rate is based on the Russian Central Bank the day of import clearance, so the owner of the goods has to pay more to prevent exchange difference.

  • Payment to the Federal Custom Service takes about 3 - 4 working days.

Motor Vehicles

  • Documents Required

  • Original technical passport

  • Telex release bill of lading / copy air waybill

  • Original Customs declaration

  • Pro-forma invoice

  • Purchase document

  • Employment confirmation letter (non-citizens)


  • Specific Information

  • The Customs declaration is necessary to register the vehicle with the Ministry of Internal Affairs.

  • The temporary import of vehicles can be done only for foreign citizens and only for duration of the owner of the goods’ visa.

  • No longer than 12 months. 



Documents Required

  • Certificate of vaccination

  • Veterinary health certificate

  • Pet passport


 Specific Information

  • The veterinary health certificate must be issued no more than 10 days within arrival of pet.

  • Permission from the Veterinary Department of the Ministry of Agriculture is required for all animals except, cats, and dogs.

Restricted/Dutiable Items

  • Wine and spirits (2 L)

  • Arms and ammunition

  • Precious jewellery, stones, medicines, and currency can be imported only as accompanied baggage and must be declared with Customs authorities at the time of owner of the goods’ arrival.

Prohibited Items

  • Weapons of all kinds

  • Pornography

  • Narcotics

  • Toxic and radioactive materials

  • Flora and fauna objects

  • Technical / receiving apparatus which operate with frequency higher than 9 KHz

NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The customs information provided is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to each destination country and is being provided for general guidance. We are not liable for any costs, damage, delays, duties, taxes or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance, errors or omissions. Customers should always check full requirements with the local embassy or consulate.

bottom of page