top of page





​Country Guide: Belgium

  • Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.

Used Household Goods and Personal Effects

Documents Required

  • Copy of passport showing photograph and signature

  • Original bill of lading (OBL)  / express release / air waybill (AWB) / Convention Relative Au Contract de Transport International de Marchandises Par Route (CMR)

  • Certificate for free entry (diplomats)

  • Letter of employment

  • Original Certificate of Residence obtained from the local Belgian town hall (Model 2)

  • Proof of cancellation of residence abroad

  • Lease Contract or Renting Voucher

  • Indemnity/insurance documents

  • Non-valued inventory list or packing list in English, French or German signed in original by customer

  • Specific Information

  • Certificate of residence (Model 2) issued by local Belgian town hall of the city of residence.

  • Letter of employment from the origin country or destination country stating that the owner of the goods has been employed outside the European Union for a period of at least 12 months.

  • If possible, the letter of employment from the origin country should include the beginning and ending dates of employment and beginning date of employment in Belgium.

  • Any other official documents from the embassy or the Consulate at origin stating that the owner of the goods has lived outside Belgium for the past 12 months should be included.

      Motor Vehicles

  • Documents Required

  • Original registration card

  • Certificate of insurance from origin country

  • Copy of purchase invoice / sales contract / good faith declaration 

      Specific Information

  • Purchase invoice / sales contract / good faith declaration from the owner of the goods must state that the vehicle has been in the owner of the goods’ possession for more than 6 months, the approximate current value and that the vehicle is not for resale.

  • Certificate of insurance from origin country must provide for coverage of over 6 months from date of departure of the vehicle.

  • Vehicle must be CE compliant or possible to be adapted to CE norms.

  • All documents for HHG must also be provided for vehicle shipments.


  • Documents Required

  • Vaccination record

  • Veterinary health certificate

  • Specific Information

  • Pets must be identifiable (tattoo or an electronic identification system) and vaccinated against rabies.

      Restricted/Dutiable Items

  • Food

  • Ivory (CITES)

  • Stuffed animals / animal skins

  • Untreated wood

  • Plants

  • Alcohol (authorization from the territorial administration is required)

  • Tobacco and tobacco products

  • Coats, fur, and leather shoes made from protected animals (authorization from the territorial administration is required)

      The following items are restricted or prohibited from being included in a household goods shipment:

  • Alcohol and Tobacco Products

  • Unlicensed Drugs

  • Weapons, firearms, fireworks, explosives or ammunition

  • Pornographic material or indecent materials involving children

  • Counterfeit goods

  • Radio transmitters

  • Milk products or foodstuffs

  • Animals, birds or fish (whether alive or dead)

  • Parts taken from protected animal species, including furs, ivory etc.

NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The customs information provided is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to each destination country and is being provided for general guidance. We are not liable for any costs, damage, delays, duties, taxes or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance, errors or omissions. Customers should always check full requirements with the local embassy or consulate.

The historic town of Dinant with the Belgian flag and the citadelle on the rock and Colleg
bottom of page